Friday, September 4, 2009

Debbie Wong has Outrageous Mangos




Brian Wolf of Luques and AOC called them the single best thing at the farmer's market, but when I first had them a while back they were expensive and the one I got wasn't ripe yet. Then I decided to try another one a few weeks ago and it was an epiphany, a mango epiphany. It was sweet, smooth almost creamy, it was an almost perfeect mango.I couldn't wait to use them, in dessert a panna cotta using hardly any sugar, a lobster salad with avocado and green papaya and by itself. I gave one to my friend Abe and he couldn't believe the flavor and texture.
Of course what would you expect from Wong Farms. They grow in the desert out toward the Salton Sea and we get their tomatoes in late winter and early spring.The tomatoes warrant tomato salads when no one eventhinks of these things. So cudos to Debbie and Wong Farms for their outrageous Mangos.

No comments: